Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Shameless Plug: The Revival Study Bible

Any Bible in any form or translation is incredible. And I know everyone has their own favorite version. I, personally, grew up memorizing scripture in the NIV, so I tend to gravitate more towards it for simple reading and study.

Until we got this as a Christmas gift.
Seriously. It.is.AMAZING! Every single morning (and sometimes randomly in the day), I get excited about picking it up and reading through it because I know there's gonna be something good in there. I mean, it's the Bible. So, of course there's always gonna be something good to read in there. But I have never read through the Old Testament with such hunger and enthusiasm. I've always been more of a New Testament kinda girl, but I started noticing how one-sided my knowledge of the Word was becoming. I have tried so many times to read in the Old Testament (besides Psalms, Proverbs and a few others) but have never really stuck to it. So, I started the new year in the beginning and have really been enjoying it.

So, what's different this time around? It could be my maturity. It could be my determination to stick to it. It could be my sheer desire to learn more and be more well-rounded. It could be all these things and more. But I attribute my new-found excitement to all the incredible extra "stuff" packed into this particular publication of the Bible. I'm able to understand SO MUCH MORE about the implications of these stories that I've grown up hearing.

I wish I could give an accurate explanation/description of what I mean by "stuff" but unless you get your hands on one and flip through it yourself, my words are no good. I will, however, attempt to give you a taste of what I mean.

Throughout the whole Bible, there are little (and sometimes not-so-little) nuggets of truth, wisdom and insight to various passages, specifically in regard to revival. There are quotes from past authors and revivalists; pages of bios on men and women who were involved in or influenced by revivals from all over the world; information on what condition our hearts need to be in for revival and what conditions are hindrances to revival. The editors of this Bible left no stone unturned while putting this together. It truly is an incredible weapon and tool for anyone who wants to see a move of the Lord.

At the risk of making this post even longer, I feel I must give at least one example of what's in this massive book. Here's an extra that has left me challenged and thinking on it throughout the day:

From the story of Joseph's interaction with Potiphar's wife in Genesis 39...this is just a section of the quote written by Charles H. Spurgeon.
"In contending with certain sins, there remains no mode of victory but by flight...It is true that I may be an apparent loser by declining evil company, but I had better leave my cloak than lose my character; it is not needful that I should be rich, but it is imperative upon me to be pure. No ties of friendship, no chains of beauty, no flashings of talent, no shafts of ridicule must turn me from the wise resolve to flee from sin."

There's so much incredible goodness in this Bible. If you happen to have a birthday coming up, or graduation or an extra $100 sitting around...please go here, to this website, and order one. You absolutely will not regret it.

1 comment:

  1. I started in Genesis at the new year too! I'm using a different study bible, but I'm really enjoying it, as well!

    ReplyDelete