Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mother's Day: Then and Now

Here is a picture of what my Mother's Day looked like last year:
I got my very first breakfast-in-bed on Mother's Day complete with some beautiful flowers (from the hospital and my in-laws).

So grateful for how time changes things and grows us. I was so naive and clueless in that first picture. I still kinda am, but OH! how much I've learned since then!

Last year on Mother's Day, we got to bring our little guy home from the hospital. I was so thrilled and anxious to be home with him and to start playing "house."  He, on the other hand, enjoyed my womb the hospital a little more than home at that point. Just getting everything together and organized to leave the hospital had been quite the production and by the time we actually got home, he was a screaming tyrant in the backseat. And pretty much stayed that way the whole day and wouldn't eat...at all. I had been so naive and so determined to breastfeed that I had not even registered for bottles. They send home tons of free formula from the hospital, but even if I had wanted to give it to him, (I absolutely did NOT want to give it to him) I had no vehicle for it. I remember my mom and my sister running to the nearest store to buy the cheapest bottle they could find.

And then after a few hours of helping us get settled and somewhat adjusted, they left. And it was just the 3 of us. At home. Alone. Our little family. I think Matt and I were both elated and terrified. And already horribly exhausted.

What a memorable first Mother's Day!

And here we are about a year later:

He's healthy and alive. And so am I. Thank the Lord! Ha!

I had such a sweet day with my boys! We went to church that morning and came home for a brief time because we were planning to meet with Matt's family a little later. (We had already celebrated Mother's Day with my family the day before, after celebrating Allison's graduation.) Josiah fell asleep in the car and Matt and I both accidentally fell assleep at home, but woke up to join his parents and Josh and Kimberly for lunch. Such a great time with them! I'm so grateful for such a wonderful family of in-laws.

We really had no plans for that evening which is quite odd for us for a Sunday evening, so we took a spontaneous trip to get some frozen yogurt. And of course, Josiah enjoyed some as well. I think we've created a little frozen yogurt monster.

I absolutely love being a Mommy and every day truly is Mother's Day with these guys, but it sure is nice to be honored a little extra.


Hope you all enjoyed a very sweet and memorable Mother's Day as well.

1 comment:

  1. That's such a cool story! You got to bring him home on Mother's day! He's such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete