Monday, June 16, 2014

28 weeks

How far along: 8 weeks...officially third trimester as of last week. We're in the home-stretch now, baby!

Size of baby: an eggplant
Movement: Poor baby girl got squished a ton over the last week. We were in the car for a good amount of time and she's been sitting pretty low, right where my lap meets my tummy...where the seat belt rests. We were in my dad's car and his seat belts do that anaconda-grip thing where is refuses to loosen and just gets tighter and tighter, making me wanna punch somebody. Everybody else in the car loved being with me. She's also playing the same game Josiah played where she'll move around like crazy, all over my belly so you can see her, but then be perfectly still when I'm trying to get someone else to see it. Little toot.
Maternity Clothes: It's sad, because I'm already needing to get a few more shirts that are long enough to cover my large protrusion. Good thing I've got a few good XL tshirts and a couple of long-ish tanks to hopefully last the summer.

Sleep: I only wake up because I'm uncomfortable and need to roll over, or I've ended up on my back and can't breathe anymore. And I'm usually drenched in sweat when I do wake up. So frustrating.

Cravings: SWEETS! Today I'm actually craving some veggies and fruit, but really only because being on the road for several days doesn't typically lend itself to healthy eating. I tried. Okay, not really. I enjoyed that Texas Burger and Arby's and pizza. Just paying for it now. And looking forward to a good, veggie-filled salad tonight.

Symptoms: Indigestion hasn't been too bad (until all the fried, greasy foods happened), but my hips hurt like crazy. Also, my doctor discovered I was anemic, which has been the cause of light-headedness, dizziness, being out of breath too easily, heart palpitations and insane exhaustion. The heat made it so.much.worse and it's been quite a hot couple weeks. So, she put me on that lovely iron supplement and told me I needed to drink more water than is humanly possible. Do they make pull-ups in grown-woman sizes???

Worst Moment This Week: I don't usually include this unless there's something notable that I want to remember. My Granddaddy (my dad's dad) passed away early last Monday night. He had been pretty sick for the last couple years after getting in a fight with a mosquito carrying West Nile. He should have died then, but the man is a fighter, and lived a few more good years. Of course, death is always tough to handle, but it was a little more bitter because my father was having to bury his father (and last living parent) on Father's Day weekend. The only real benefit to times like these is that you get to see and spend a little bit of time with family you don't always get to see. And also, the hope of life after death, free from pain and suffering.
Granddaddy with all his great-grandchildren two Christmases ago.                                    (Photo cred: my cousin's wife, Leslie)

Best Moment this Week: Even in the middle of a week of obvious sadness and mourning, there were several highlights and sweet times. But HANDS DOWN the best moment of the week was last night when I came home from doing a bit of we-have-nothing-but-spoiled-milk grocery shopping to find my husband, on HIS day to be celebrated as a wonderful father, going out of his way to make my life that much better. He was finishing up installing a brand new window AC unit in the living room. If you've ever been to my house in the summer months...you know how big a deal this is. If you haven't...you've never really experienced Hell on Earth.
Simply put, we live in an old house that has saran wrap for windows and cracks in the doors and holes in the duct work in the attic. Sounds lovely, eh? It really is a great little house and we (my husband) have put so much work into it to make it more liveable and beautiful, but the cruddy AC problem suddenly got infinitely worse once I became pregnant for the entirety of the summer . My body is a freakin' oven...constantly. And the 7 different fans we have in every room of the house seemed to only be pushing around the massive amounts of hot air. So, after tossing around the few options we had for a quick fix on a nothing budget, we finally decided on the window unit. Best.decision.ever. Does every other room in the house still feel like Hell's Closet of Suffocation? You betcha. But at least I can sit in my chair, in the room where we spend 85% of our 24 hours and find some sweet, blessed, beautiful relief. Seriously. I've already cried three times.

Isn't she lovely?!
Bonus: the box doubles as an entire HOUR, yes hour of entertainment.

Looking Forward to: Baby Showers!!! YAY!! YAY!!! Double YAY!!! There are already 2 scheduled for July and I am beside myself excited. And grateful. I honestly wasn't sure if there would be any, seeing as this is the second kid and we basically have all the "necessities" already. But it's always sweet to know that people already love and want to shower your other kid before they're here, ya know? I'm excited to get to spend time with all those wonderful people too. So fun!

Daddy's Involvement: If you need any more convincing that my baby daddy spoils me besides that lengthy paragraph up there, just know that this is only one example of how he is constantly going out of his way to make sure I'm comfortable and happy and healthy. All the time.

Gosh, I love this man.

Big Brother: I've noticed he's been a little extra affectionate with me the past few days. LOTS of extra kisses and hugs and cuddle and "I love you's." But he makes sure to balance it all with extra sassy-ness too. He's asked a few questions about Lydia recently, but not much interest out of the ordinary. It is getting much harder and riskier to pick him up and carry him and play (rough-house) with him lately and I think he's noticed. I just keep praying that he doesn't project blame on his sister. I would much rather he not make the connection that it's because of her that Mommy can't do what she used to. I would rather him be mad at me than be resentful of her. So I've had to be careful with my wording and reasoning. It's such a big deal to me to get their relationship started off with as little sibling rivalry as possible. There may need to be an entire separate post about my thoughts on all this...I have a lot. But in the meantime, I'll leave you with a shameless Big Brother pic of the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment