Friday, January 31, 2014

8 Weeks

*Original Post Date: 01.31.14*

It's amazing how much difference a simple First Ultrasound and Doctor's Appointment can make. More on that below.

How Far Along: 8 weeks, 2 days. (Not sure I'll ever have time to do updates on Tuesdays when I change weeks. I'm sure you and I both will get over it.)

Food Equivalent: Kidney bean!

Gender: Still unknown. But that heart rate was clocked going pretty fast. ("Legend" says if it's faster than 140ish, it's likely to be a girl.)

Movement:I can't feel it yet, but we got to see it wiggling around on the screen.

Maternity Clothes: I need some stretchy jeans! And I need to be able to stinkin' tell people already so I don't have to suck in this thing that can't really be suck in...already.

Sleep: It's alright, I suppose. Definitely starting to add some wacko dreams to the mix. If I remember correctly, some of my dreams while pregnant with Josiah ended up being rather prophetic. Hmmm.

Cravings: Anything salty. Tons of ICE water. And my usual Chick-fil-a and pizza. But that could be said of me without child.

Aversions: Would you believe that this kid won't tolerate guacamole??? I have a growing concern that he/she may not be a good fit for this family. I ate some most delicious guac a couple weeks ago and regretted it even into the next day. Yesterday, Matt made some and I just wasn't excited. Josiah kept force-feeding me (where did he learn that?!?!) tiny, little chips delicately dipped in the green good stuff. I obliged, but even that small amount left me troubled not long after. What a sad existence.

What I'm Missing: Extra cups of coffee. I'm still having the one small cup in the mornings, but that just doesn't carry me beyond about 2 or 3 hours.

Symptoms: Still so much burping. Like, deep, ugly, manly, un-ladylike burps. I really hope it goes away eventually. Some sharp pains in my belly when I work out a little too hard. (Ha!) Crankiness. And still some exhaustion. Also, a pretty sucky memory.

Best Moment of the Week: The doctor's appointment and first ultrasound. Got to see that sweet nugget on the screen and hear it's (rapidly) beating heart. Last time, we got a positive test on a Tuesday morning and had an appointment lined up for Thursday. This time however, we had to wait 2.5 weeks! Pure torture. So much time to formulate SO MANY questions and doubts. I will say, though, that it was well worth the wait to be able to have a doctor like the one I have this time around. I (we both) left the appointment feeling so, so encouraged and hopeful. I wrote a little about why we were choosing a new doctor and why it was important to us that he/she be understanding and supportive of our hope for a VBAC. She is. And I'm thrilled.

Worst Moment of the Week: Dare I say...a few somewhat silly arguments with Matt due to my crankiness. Bummer. Hope I move on from that. 

Looking Forward To: Finally getting to tell all the family this weekend! Last time it was so easy. Both sides of the family (minus a sibling on each side) just happen to be getting together for lunch since my birthday and Matt's Dad's birthday and my sister's birthday are all within a week or so of each other. It was perfect. This time is a bit more complicated, but nothing we can't still be creative with. I'll tell ya how it all went down next week.

Baby Daddy: He came with me to the appointment and waited through all the various "first appointment" obstacles. He's been very attentive and patient and helpful.



Big Brother: We actually told him today!!!! Totally doesn't get it. He thinks he's the one in my tummy. Ha! Or that it's Sister Bear from Berenstein Bears. I'm hoping it becomes a little clearer along the way, like when my abdomen balloons to astronomical sizes.

This is the only picture I have with him in his special shirt, so far. I love it and think it gives a slight glimpse into his wild personality. 


1 comment:

  1. Love your update...
    I was totally stoked to hear our #3 had a HR of 163 - I was like GIRL!!!!!!
    Until the next ultrasound when there was NOT girl parts included.
    Also love Josiah's interpretation of what's going on!

    ReplyDelete