Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Dear Winter...An Open Letter

Dear Winter,

I love you. I really do. As a girl from Houston, who has never (and will never) get used to the scorching, suffocating heat of the summer, I long for you often. I vowed long ago to never complain about those days when you are fiercer than normal, even when everyone else is, because I would be devastated if you ever took offense and chose to not come around anymore. I so appreciate you and all that you do for my comfort.

But I need to be honest with you today. I'm struggling. I've caught myself several times in the last few days feeling a complaint rise up within me.

You see...yes. It does have a little to do with the fact that you have graced us Houstonians with slightly more than our normal share of wintery weather. We're usually consider ourselves lucky if we have one snow day in 2 or 3 years! But we've had several "ice" days in the last month.

(As a side note and suggestion: I think more people down here would be more welcoming of your presence if you would simply offer just a little bit more of the white stuff along with the frigid temps. It's almost as if you get our hopes up and then just decide at the last minute to play a dirty trick on us. Or at least share the wealth. When our neighbors to the north and west get several actual days of the flurries, it kinda hurts our feeling when all you give is dangerous roads. Just sayin'.)

But here's the real deal. My recent spiral into dissatisfaction with you comes more-so with the lack of sufficient wardrobe. Yes, for me. I'm limited in my cold-weather clothing.

But honestly? For my child.

He's healthy and he's growing like he should and his pants are becoming more and more awkwardly too short every time I put them on him. I cringe. He could care less. And his father doesn't see a difference. But Mommy cares.

But it's not just the pants. It's not even the few long-sleeved shirts he has that are already causing my precious, innocent (*ahem*), little boy to be one who lacks modesty. (He does have a cute, little belly, though. That could be filed under #normalkidproblems. Every kid has that recurring issue of the high-waters. It's called "growing up" and it's something we parents (typically) greatly encourage.

The real issue and struggle I have is the child's coat. To the naked eye, it fits. Sure. But Mommy knows a secret. (*it's two sizes too small*) I chose not to invest in another coat for him because how many really cold days are we gonna have anyway? Yeah. So that's where I am.



See, Winter, my friend. I would never (and will never) ask you to leave. I want you to know that you are always welcome to breathe your coolness on us anytime...especially in those super hot days we all know are fastly approaching. But would you be so kind as to please give me (and my fellow southerners) some indication of how long you plan to stick around?  I mean, like...should I go buy the kid another coat?

Sincerely,
The Cold Momma
(who is slightly embarrassed)


No comments:

Post a Comment