Wednesday, May 21, 2014

24 weeks

So...I'm totally blaming the lack of posting on how insanely busy the last few weeks have been. With birthdays and birthday parties, graduations, missions trips and wrapping up the school year, we have been going pretty much non-stop. I may have even forgotten a few times that I'm even pregnant. Just kidding. There's no way I can forget with this giant belly already bumping into things and knocking things over. And so many other wonderful reasons I wouldn't be able to forget that I'm carrying a tiny human being. See more on that below.

How far along: 24 weeks (inching ever-closer to that third trimester...wow. just wow.)

Size of baby: the length of an ear of corn

Gender: It's getting so much more comfortable to say things like she, her, daughter, girl, etc. I'm not sure I'll ever fully come out of the shock of having a daughter, but she's really starting to take her place in this family. The girl is also already getting a head-start on a great wardrobe. And that doesn't even include the hand-me-downs coming her way!
This is not even all of it!
Movement:I mentioned to Matt the other day that it's so different than I remember with Josiah. Granted, that was 3+ years ago, but I remember feeling him moving around a lot, but not so much "kicking" me. This girl though, this sassy, feisty little lady...she's a kicker. And I don't mean the country-music-listening, boots-wearing, hat-tipping kind. She straight up kicks me. Or punches. I don't know. Either way, she's getting stronger and bigger. Another difference is that I really only noticed Josiah when I was still and easier to notice him, but I could be full-on working out or doing something and I can feel her going to town in there. Looks like I have myself a little work-out buddy.

*And I just wanna make a note of something. When I mentioned the differences to Matt, he apologized (because that's how compassionate he is), thinking that maybe I was complaining about how uncomfortable it is. And I explained that I will NEVER, EVER, EVER complain about being able to feel my child inside of me. Do I complain about other pregnancy-related discomforts? Sure do. But what a incredible privilege it is to be able to experience another human...my human...wiggling around! Not only does it mean that I've been miraculously and graciously given this gift of being pregnant, but it also means that she's alive and healthy and growing and developing. What a big deal!

Maternity Clothes: Shirts are getting too small, but found some decent shorts that just might get me through this already blazing heat. Now on the look-out for a swimsuit that isn't over-priced or ugly.

Sleep: Not too bad. I'm so exhausted by the end of the day that it doesn't take long for me to get comfortable. Just being horizontal is comfort enough. And I only wake up when a certain little somebody is climbing over me, thinking he's gonna get to sleep in Mommy and Daddy's bed. And then, there was that one time about a week ago when Homegirl kicked me so hard it woke me up. I laughed.

Cravings: Peach-flavored things are hitting the spot these days. It might have something to do with Chick-fil-a's seasonal peach shake being back and the weather warming up. SO yummy!!!!

Symptoms: Got that wildly persistent indigestion going on after every.single.bite I eat. I get it when I haven't eaten and I get it when I have eaten. Can't tell you how many times I've said, "This girl better have a full head of hair for the amount of heart burn I constantly have." (Side note: What's the difference between heart burn and indigestion? Are they synonyms?) Other than that...not being able to breathe, stretch mark city, a bad case of the "can't go's" (sorry...too much?) and restless leg syndrome. Wouldn't trade a bit of it.

Best Moment this Week: So many wonderful moments these last few weeks. I mentioned most of them in this post. What I didn't mention, was that we took a team of students on a missions trip to serve at The Rock Outreach Center in Port Arthur, TX. WE LOVE THEM!!! We've gotten to serve with them for the last couple of years and it's always such a wonderful, powerful time...for everyone.


Looking Forward to: This summer. No, not the heat. It's not even in the 90's yet and I already get punched in the face with a headache and bad nausea when I get into the car. But I am very much looking forward to having the extra time to be relaxed and lazy while also being productive and getting some stuff done at my own pace. I have a few projects in the works, but no major commitments.

Daddy's Involvement: Besides being compassionate about all my various pregnancy symptoms, he's been a huge help with Josiah. He's taken over bath-time since it's gotten increasingly difficult and is just over-all being really great about being attentive and selfless. And he takes me out on yummy dates.

Big Brother: I love how inquisitive he's getting about the baby. Just this morning we were having a conversation about her being hungry and how does the food Mommy eats get to her tummy? And when is she gonna start walking? I'm hoping and praying that his capacity for understanding how a baby develops will increase as time goes on and when she gets here. I'm sure there will be some frustration with her not doing much of anything for awhile but crying and sleeping.
He's also had a hard time with not being able to jump on me and ride me like I'm an animal. Daddy's not the only one who's a rough-houser (is that a word???) with him. I usually am too, but have had to cut it out, for obvious reasons. He seems to understand once we get on to him and remind him that he can't do that...after he's already gotten a running start to fly into me. This wild boy. My heart can barely contain my love for him.



No comments:

Post a Comment