Monday, May 5, 2014

Three

Dear Josiah,

My wild, sweet boy. You are three. How? I feel like the last month or so I've just been rounding up when people ask how old you are (plus, I've been in a bit of denial over it) so it doesn't seem like that much of a shock to say that you're three. But when I really think about it...I just can't.

I also just can't fathom how in the world I'm gonna sufficiently articulate who you are right now. Either this thing is gonna be entirely too long or there will just have to be some holes. I'm writing so not only will I be able to remember who you are and what you do, but so that someday you can also read this.

So, let's begin with physical stats. Should be easy because I have none. Your 3year check up is next week and hopefully we'll get some accurate details then. But until then, you are tall and skinny, but kinda stating to chunk up a bit. I constantly find myself laughing at your long, skinny, white, chicken legs. You used to be smaller, in total, than your legs are now. So crazy to think about. You have the cutest, most hilarious overbite due to that lingering paci. Speaking of that paci...it's headed outta town the day after you turn 3. (I'm not that mean of a mommy to make you get rid of it on your birthday, but we're not stringing this thing along. It's time.)

You are an excellent communicator. You speak very well and random people are always commenting on how smart you are and how well you speak for your age. It comes as no surprise to me, but it does make me proud to know other people notice. One of your new favorite things is to repeat various lectures you've been given about kindness and good manners and how to treat someone...especially when you're the recipient of a "no" response. The funniest? "Mommy/Daddy, you say 'Yes, ma'am' to me." (Said in the strictest voice with the most furrowed brow you can muster.) You also like to tell us to stop "treating me that." Or, "It's not nice manners to tell someone 'no'." You sure are a bossy little dude and have picked up many of those bossy habits from your dad. Okay, okay...whatever. From me. Well, from both of us.

You are a negotiator. You will bargain like no other child I have known. If we tell you you can have "one suck" (of the paci after bed/nap...a 10 second countdown), you say you need "all the sucks." If we say you can have one piece of candy, you say you will have 5. It's not even that you're begging (although, yes, sometimes it's in a begging mode), but you respond as though you are making the decision. Like, that's that.

You are a musical kid. You LOVE to sing and dance and watch music videos on youtube. Your favorites right now are: "Desert Song", "The Halo Song" (Freedom by Nicole C. Mullin), "Me Without You", "Deep Cries Out", "Oceans", "Let it Go" (and all other Frozen songs), and "Move it, Move it."

You could spend all you time watching shows on our iPhones. Your favorites right now are Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Doc McStuffins, Little Einsteins, Handy Manny, Daniel Tiger, Curious George, Cat in the Hat, Peg+Cat, SuperWhy, and Dinosaur Train (even though you know Mommy doesn't like you watching it). I'm sure there are others...and I'm sure it looks like Mommy and Daddy are lazy, lame parents who just shove a phone in your face. But you don't watch all those in one sitting. And we have been trying to limit you. You're just so quiet and calm and we can get so much done! (World's Best Parents...ever.)

Another large chunk of your time is spent doing puzzles. And child, you are SO GOOD at puzzles. Maybe you are totally right on schedule developmentally, but I am impressed. You will do the same puzzle a thousand times in one sitting until you pretty much have it memorized. I keep trying to give you slightly more complicated puzzles and you are a little insecure at first and beg for Mommy and Daddy's help, but you eventually master it and can do it all by yourself.

You are in the best, sweetest (sometimes most painful...seriously, the head-butts and kicks to the belly) cuddling phase ever right now and I LOVE IT. I will admit it is sometimes frustrating when you insist on hugging me for a really long time as I'm trying to get you dressed in the morning and we're already running late. I have caught myself being impatient with you, but am quickly reminded to NEVER, never be the one to break the hug first. I have, however, picked up that you are smart enough to use cuddling as a way of procrastinating. In those moments, I tell you we can hug and cuddle after you are dressed. You have a had several meltdowns in the morning if you don't get a chance to get into bed with Mommy and Daddy to cuddle. It's so heartbreaking. I wish "the world" would be sympathetic if I told them, "We're always late because my son just needed to cuddle a little extra longer this morning." Some might be.

You are not an adventurous eater. We say you're picky, and yes. You basically are. But you eat fairly healthfully for a 3 year old. Your meal staples are: pbj sandwiches, grilled cheese sandwiches, carrots and hummus, apples, some nuts sometimes and pb/cheese crackers. And your favorite beverage is a green juice made of green plants (despite what you said in your interview)...the only green in your diet. Of course, you also never turn down chips, cookies, fruit snacks, chocolate, froyo, etc.

You love to help Mommy and Daddy do whatever "chores" we're doing. If Daddy is cooking or working on the shed or gardening or fixing a vehicle, you always ask to help. You love to help Mommy fold laundry and make your lunch or bake or sweep and vacuum. You're pretty helpful right now and I'm hoping and praying that helpfulness sticks around for awhile or forever. At least until your sister gets here.

You've become so independent in the last few weeks and months. You have successfully learned how to put your own shoes and socks on. You almost always get the rights shoes on the right feet and your socks are still usually a little twisted up, but you do great. You also had a bit of a meltdown the other night because I wouldn't let you brush your own teeth (you take so long because you really just play around and we both were incredibly tired...and you really aren't so great at that yet). You are so proud of yourself when you put your own shorts/pants on by yourself.

This leads me into the area of potty talk. You are SO ready for full-on potty training! Mommy is the one dragging her feet. Now that the school year is essentially over, we'll get down to business and get it done, but there was no way I could really give my full attention and be consistent with all that was going on. We've bought our "very last box of diapers" about seven times. And I'm pretty sure your teachers at school are judging me because I still bring in diapers vs. pull-ups. Oh, well. You are ready and will be in underwear before the summer is over. I hope. I hope. I hope.

Sleep. Can we just skip this part? I'm pretty sure there are no books available on how to sleep-train a three year old. Shoulda been done two and a half years ago. I have all these (semi-valid) excuses as to why you still wake up 2-3 times a night and are persistent about being in our bed, but the truth is that you are getting SO MUCH better lately. Instead of just pulling you into bed with us (which was the habit for far too long and still such a temptation at 3am), I just hug you for a minute and then walk you back to your bed. You go right back to sleep and I go right back to my bed. Daddy just gets into bed with you...which Mommy has many mixed emotions about. (Something about getting the bed all to her giant self, but also it not helping you learn to sleep by yourself...and your bed is super uncomfortable and you aren't the best bed-mate ever in the world.) I have hope that some change and growth is on the horizon for us in this department. Again, something just has to happen before a little someone makes her debut in a few months.

As is the fashion with just about every kid between the ages of 2 and 10, you say the darndest things. I've tried to keep track of some of the things you say. Here are a few of our favorite quotes and conversations with you:

Mommy: Why are you just the cutest kid in the whole world?
Josiah: Because I just am!

(Pointing to the leaopard-print scarf on my neck.)
J: “Mommy, I got all your bugs!”
Mommy: No, these are spots.
J: No. They are not spots. They buuuuuugs.


(fashioned a “typewriter” out of the pistachios and almonds on his dinner plate and pretending to type)
“Dear Mommy, I am typing this letter because Josiah is very smart!” (repeated multiple times)


Upon waking up, having slept on his arm funny: “My hand feels fuzzy.” 


Matt filled the tub up for bathtime and I discovered that there was a bunch of dirt and grass floating around in it. I said to Matt something to the effect of:  “Did you not see all the junk floating around in the tub when you turned it on?”
A few minutes pass by as I re-filled the tub and as Matt was carrying Josiah into the bathroom, he said, “Daddy show me your junk! I wanna see your junk”
We laughed way too hard and for way too long about that. The funniest part was that Matt didn’t realize he was referring to the “junk” in the bathtub. He was concerned about how Josiah knew that phrase and why he was saying it. 


Mommy to Daddy upon seeing a big white truck with the words, “The world is mine.”
Mommy: I guess Jesus drives that white truck right there.
Josiah: *gasp* Mommy, I found Jesus!


You still mispronounce some words: "gril" (girl), "aminal" (animal), "free" (three), "gotfor" (forgot), "mine" (my)  (...and I have a really hard time correcting you, though I do because I love you.)

You are already the sweetest big brother. I mean, there is a tenderness there when we talk about your sister that just isn't present really anywhere else. And I'm not sure if it's a result of her being a sister or just being a baby that makes you so sensitive, but it's precious. 

You love to re-tell whatever "funny" thing happens on whatever show you're watching.

Your memory is astounding. Details are included.

You love to be tickled. 

You are always asking us to play with you. You are not great at playing by yourself. We are trying to work on that before your sister comes. 

You love to read, but really only at bedtime. Your favorites right now are The Berenstain Bears books. Makes Momma proud. 

You are not much of an artist. You will color...for about 2.5 minutes. And you are quite the minimalist in your artwork. I always have to encourage you to fill in the white spaces. 

You are incredibly generous. Always wanting to share. And even when you have something that you don't particularly want to share, you might hesitate, but you still share. 

Kid, there's just so much more to who you are. And I knew it would be a futile effort to try to capture every little quirk of your BIG personality. I'm sure I'm leaving plenty out that I'll want to add tomorrow, but this will have to do.

Mommy and Daddy just love you more than we can say. You are the best thing we could have chosen to do together. You make life a sweet challenge and an incredible joy. What an exciting thought to imagine what this next year of life might be for you! I'm so glad I get to be there to get to watch it all happen.

I love you so much, Josiah. You're my Best Boy.

Mommy















 
 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment