Friday, March 19, 2010

ahhh...spring break.

I'm not really sure what it is about college ministry...or maybe just ministry in general...but we don't really ever get much of a "break." Even when the students have "Christmas Break" or "Spring Break" it seems like we get even busier. It's typically a good "busy," since we spend it visiting friends and family that we don't get to see or spend time with very often. But really, there is something just thoroughly refreshing about not having to be anywhere at any certain time. This is why I am so grateful that my wonderful in-laws live way out in the country where there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do or anybody to see. Of course, being a city-grown girl, I could never survive out here long-term, but a short visit sure is nice and relaxing.
Here is a brief synopsis of what the rest of the week has looked like for me/us:


Monday: I had lunch at Jason's Deli with my beautiful friend, Nicole. I very much enjoyed spending time with her...just the 2 of us. We talked about the LORD and relationships. Then in the evening I got to hang out with my other very beautiful friend, Nicole. She and I are pretty close, but rarely get to spend any real time with each other because she is one of the busiest people I know...student teaching, working A LOT and now, PLANNING A WEDDING! We had the best time just talking about all the wedding craziness and going through all the various details of a wedding. I'm so excited for this season of her life.

Tuesday: I'm not gonna even go into all the details of this day. But let's just say that I am a planner and all the different people I had plans with this day are not planners. Matt and I ended up with NOTHING to do this day (not complaining)...so what did we do? We went and had a late "lunch" at one of our favorite cafes. I say "lunch" because we just shared a piece of carrot cake. It's our Spring Break...sue me. ;)


Wednesday: My little sister had surgery earlier in the week and had not even been out of the house to enjoy the awesome weather. So our friend, Hannah and I went over to my parents house to keep her company. We watched Ellen's stand-up (hilarious!), went for a long, lovely walk around the double lakes, and then we all got caught up on the recent episodes of The Office over yummy BBQ sandwiches a la my father.

Thursday: This was the one day this week that I worked. I spent the absolutely gorgeous day with Saoirse ("Sersha"...it's Irish) at a nearby park. And apparently there were scores of other mothers and/or caregivers who had the same idea. I must admit, I secretly enjoyed all the compliments from people telling me how beautiful my "daughter" was. I did tell a few of them that she wasn't mine...but of course, that was after they heard her call me "Katey."
After a nice nap and some more play, I went home and got ready to hit the road to Schulenburg.

Friday: LOTS of FOOD. Who else can agree with me that spending time with family always means that over-consumption happens? At least it's also always absolutely delicious food. And what else goes best with lots of good food and visiting family than several naps? The true essence of Spring Break. :)

May I please leave you with a precious picture of my sweet, sweet Saoirse? Do you see why I didn't correct people? Her real mother is gorgeous.



No comments:

Post a Comment