Sunday, April 6, 2014

A Heart That Worships

I have a giant update to write about this kid that lives with me who's about to turn 3, but was a teeny, tiny screeching newborn not that long ago. (I'm struggling to believe it.) But there's one thing about his enormous personality that I feel deserves a post all to itself.

This kid has been bitten by the musical bug. I mean...Matt and I both have very few drops of musical talent in our blood. Meaning, we can occasionally, kinda carry a tune. Matt has a few more drops than me because he can at least decently play an instrument.

But this kid can kinda sing...and does so  c o n s t a n t l y. And until a certain icy animated movie debuted at our house, all he sang were Sunday School songs, worship songs and a few nursery rhymes. It's all really cute and sweet (and a little annoying because he's very much like his Daddy who'll only sing ONE, maybe two, lines of a song over and over and over until Mommy snaps), but it does something to my heart to hear him sing worship songs.

Because he gets to be in the worship portion of our Thursday night service for Chi Alpha and because his best friends are in there too, he watches them and learns how to worship. And it's the best thing ever for a Mommy's heart.

One day a few weeks ago, he and I were outside in the backyard enjoying the sun that had been MIA for far too long. Josiah was running around, doing whatever boys do. I was swinging in the hammock, attempting to boost my mood by reading the Bible and listening to the birds around me worship.

It had been a rough couple of weeks, partially due to the lack that glorious endorphin-releaser called the sun and partially due to wild hormones, but mostly due to a few of those life circumstances that kinda leave you dragging your heart on the ground. I hadn't even realized just how tattered my emotions had been until I heard him start singing a song that has been his particular favorite for awhile now on the other side of the yard. I started singing along with him and it just broke my stiffened heart...in the best way possible.

His favorite part of the song goes like this:

All of my life, in every season
You are still God.
I have a reason to sing,
I have a reason to worship.

He didn't know it, but we were just singing it over and over and over again together and it was healing my heart. I had let a few situations that were less-than-ideal steal my joy and I so needed that reminder that no matter what, I will always have a reason to sing. No matter how I feel, God is still worthy of worship and adoration, even if it means I'm singing through the pain or confusion.

It didn't take long for my heart to begin to feel whole again and soon I began to just listen to my precious, little wild boy singing it by himself...repeating those same lines over and over and over again. And I prayed that those words would become a legacy for his life. A testimony that he would ALWAYS, in every day of his life, know that God is God and that He's with him and that he would always have a reason to sing the praises of the Lord. 


Here is the actual song in it's entirety :

No comments:

Post a Comment