Tuesday, March 25, 2014

16 weeks

**CAUTION** 
This post contains some very vague (but maybe a little too detailed) explanations of why this week ended so horribly. Basically...puke. Read at your own risk.

How Far Along: 16 weeks

Size of Baby: an avacado (there's so much irony that this kid is the size of an avacado this week, I can't even...I just...blech.)

Gender: Still a mystery.

Movement: Just the tiniest, faintest, sweetest, little flutters. It doesn't happen often, to where I can feel them, but I have felt them. And I can't wait for more!!! And I really can't wait til this kid gets active enough for Josiah to be able to feel.

Maternity Clothes: Kinda digging those new jeans I bought a few weeks back. And my basic maternity tees. Next chance I get, I'm gonna buy a few more in different colors.

Sleep: Well, let's just say that Friday night was a girls' retreat in which I "slept" on a couch in a room full of college-aged girls who don't need sleep. It was such a great time overall, but this 30-year-old pregnant lady was struggling. THEN, the next night was spent in a hotel room sharing a bed with my cuddly, kicky toddler and my husband loudly snoring away in the other bed. My unborn child decided to start acting like he/she was S T A R V I N G right around midnight and there was an enormous amount of streetlight streaming in the window (yes, the curtains were closed). Did I mention it was gonna be an extremely early morning for us? I actually cried. AND THEN...Sunday night was...well...you'll see. *shutter* So...needless to say, I have much to desire in the sleep department this next week.

Cravings: Still the same sweets, sweets, sweets. Not helping the weight gain I'm supposed to be controlling. Also...a random craving for Cheetos popped up earlier last week. And several other things solely due to the power of suggestion.

Aversions: Ummm...well...a number of things now (more explanation below). Definitely not tolerating any guac. in the near or probably even distant future (hence the irony of the avacado). (And just for the record...I haven't been able to eat any guacamole since this pregnancy began, but even the mere sight of it has caused me such grief.) Or black bean and cheese quesadillas...just typing that makes me...queasy. Which is a little sad, because those are such a yummy, cheap, go-to meal option for us. But no.

What I'm Missing: Nothing, really.

Symptoms: Out.of.breath. Still exhausted. Random indigestion.

Best Moment This Week: Whatever good moments were had this last week were definitely over-shadowed by my worst moment this week. Sadly. Although, I do recall going to the doctor appointment in Thursday and being able to hear that sweet, little heartbeat. Always a momentous occasion.

Worst Moment This Week: At first, I thought it was the morning I woke up with the cough of someone who's been chain-smoking for 40 years. It's rather uncomfortable to muster one of those deep coughs when pregnant. Muscles get all pulled and stuff. But that was a day at the spa compared to what occurred on Sunday night. As badly I want to give all the gory details, and I kinda do, I'll be kind enough to spare you. I will, however, just say that I am NOT, not, not a vomiter. I can't. I won't. I refuse. I could never be bulimic. The last time I recall being sick enough to barf was the second day of my honeymoon when I had strep throat. (MAJOR bummer, I know.) I can never remember a time when I had a full-blown stomach bug or food poisoning or anything of the like. It was just awful and tragic. I mean...my ribs are still sore 2 days later. It was like, making up for lost time or something. And it was just so weird being pregnant and not being able to eat much of anything for the whole next day. Poor kid. And even worse that Matt got it only 12 hours later when I hadn't even had much of a chance to recover. Last night in the Hoog House was a freakin' joke. I'm pretty sure Josiah tried to take advantage of our sad weakness a few times. But I will say, we are definitely on the mend and feeling much better today! Thank the Lord! Never wanna go down that road again.

Looking Forward To: That BIG ultrasound day! One month away!

Daddy's Involvement: Again, I'm sure he was great and sweet and loving the whole week...but then he got sick on the tail-end of my bout and was useless. Which, who can blame him, really? 

Big Brother's Involvement: This sweet kid. Y'all probably think I'm making this stuff up. But if you know him...you know I'm telling the truth. One morning this last week, we were all lounging in bed together, cuddling and avoiding the inevitable wake-up time and he turned to me, barely awake and said the sweetest thing. He said, "Mommy, I love you so much. And I love your boy...ummm...I mean...your "grill" (girl) baby in your tummy." (I just want it noted that I did not and never have corrected him, prompted him or led him in any way to say this kid is a girl. Maybe someone else has, but not me.)

Another really cute thing I meant to mention last week: we were hanging out in the hammock outside one day a couple weeks ago and he was bringing tiny rocks and putting them on my belly. After he brought a few, he suddenly stopped mid-run, turned back around and said, "Oh, we should put the rocks on your tummy, because we don't want the baby to eat the rocks!" What a little smarty-pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment