Monday, April 12, 2010

Late-Night Motivation

I'm not really sure what came over me last night, but as I was walking into the bathroom, already slightly exhausted, to wash my face and brush my teeth, I suddenly became overwhelmingly disgusted at the state of my bathroom. I mean, let's just be honest here...it's a super tiny, super old closet of a bathroom that will NEVER, i mean NEVER, be completely cleaned. And honestly, I have found myself in a position of giving up on it. I can scrub and scrub and scrub and use all the latest magical wonder-working cleaners...and nothing really does the trick. Useless. Pointless. Waste of time. I've just been ignoring it all for the last year and a half or so.

I know what you're thinking: EW! And I guess that's where I found myself last night, as well. And even though it was WAY past my bedtime, I just couldn't let it go on for another minute. So, I armed myself with my new yellow cleaning gloves and some heavy-duty bleach cleaner (so not "eco-friendly", but then again, neither is my entire bathroom) and 3 or 4 different scrubby-brush-spongey things.

Here are few things I learned through my late-night adventures in bathroom cleaning:

1. The reason I never clean my bathroom in the first place is because it's too small. I don't fit in there...and certainly not in all the different positions you have to get into to really clean a bathroom.

2. I use way too much hairspray. Oh, don't be worried for the O-Zone layer. No, it all lands on the top of the toilet seat anyway. There was about an inch-thick layer of it on the lid...it looks like we got a completely new toilet once I was done with it. And I have sore muscles this morning.

3. I'm still not used to living with a boy after almost 2 and half years. Not sure I ever will be.
---P.S. He got a good (kind) "talking to" about what goes on when that lid is up. "You see," I told him, "I never, ever lift that lid up to see what it looks like under there. But you do that several times a day. Please don't ever let it get to lookin' like that again. You don't have to clean it yourself, but please just at least tell me when things start growing on it." We'll see what happens with all that.

4. I still think cleaning the toilet is one of my all-time favorite household chores. No, seriously. I used to pick that one when it was chore-time as a kid. Even as a child, I could tell there was something awfully satisfying about cleaning a toilet. You could really see the results of your hard work. Of course, I grew up with sisters and we shared a bathroom with my mom. I now completely understand why the 4 of us always had to share and my dad got his very own bathroom in the very back of the house. And can I tell you a secret? I was always terrified to go in my dad's bathroom. Ugh...still sends shivers down my spine thinking about what all lived up in there.

5. I slept way better last night, having exhausted myself from cleaning right before going to bed. I may be onto a new bedtime ritual. We'll see how long that one lasts.

Just out of curiosity...what is your favorite household chore?

No comments:

Post a Comment