Sunday, April 18, 2010

San Antonio Sisters

I just got back from a wonderful weekend with some of my sweet sisters from the good ol' college days. Amy and Beth both live in San Antonio and also do college ministry with Chi Alpha.

Amy was one of my small group leaders at Sam Houston and pretty much the reason I walk with the LORD today. She was the first person whose life I watched resembled what it's really like to have a continuously growing and deepening relationship with the LORD. It's such a cool thing now to be serving in the same ministry (different city, different school) alongside her. It's always such a refreshing time when I get to sit and catch up with her and talk about the joys and woes of college ministry. And she still has that uncanny gift for challenging me to grow deeper in my relationship with the LORD. I guess that's what happens when you leave room in your heart for spiritual authority. And now, she has one of the most beautiful daughters on the face of the planet. A whole new challenge of life and an area where I will someday be able to follow her example.Beth is, simply put, one of my best friends. We have the coolest, most carefree type of friendship. She lives in a completely different place and we almost never see each other or even talk to each other, but there's never that ugly awkwardness that usually happens among girlfriends. We are both so incredibly confident in our "no-matter-what" love for each other, that we just magically and naturally just skip over all the finger-pointing and get down to business...sharing about life.
One of the coolest things about our friendship is that we seem to always be in the same area of life at the same time. She encourages me to complain a lot less and to be honest about what's really in my heart. And for some reason, we always feel like the other is truly the only other one that will listen to the outpourings of our hearts and not give off any kind of judgment or ill-thought. Such a friendship is rare, indeed.

I love these women and consider my life all the more rich because of them. My heart breaks for all those who have never welcomed in these kinds of relationships. Sisters are one of the sweetest gifts of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment